Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Week 7: #17 Blog about Technology

Hmmm, two things immediately came to mind for this assignment

1) a 60's culture book entitled "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

2) a workshop I attended several years ago about living simply

...

The book helped me to soften my prejudicial attitudes toward technology, even if it didn't have the power to change my natural bent. (Just give me a quill, ink, and paper and I'm content.)

The presenter of the workshop made the following point:

We in modern society now have all these devices to supposedly make our lives better by increasing speed of access to information and each other, but instead, communication devices such as cell phones, palm pilots, Internet, e-mail, etc, have made our lives increasingly complex and we have less "down" time than we did before. And our lives are definitely not simpler. And we assume that the more quantity of contacts and information the more quality our lives possess. She challenged that notion.
So do I.

***

As far as others' blogs go, see Dragon Lady's more lengthy commentary.
(Perhaps she was reading my mind... )

No comments: